Saturday, August 22, 2009

Trained in Godliness

"Nothing strengthens us so much as isolation and transplantation...under the wholesome demand his soul will put forth all her native vigor... it may not be necessary for us to withdraw from home and friends; but we shall have to withdraw our heart's deepest dependence from all earthly props and supports, if ever we are to learn what it is to trust simply and absolutely on the eternal God."

-F.B. Meyer

I found this quote in a book that I have been reading about a lady's journey through doubt into faith and eventually onto the mission field in China. It struck me personally because I feel that my heart is constantly challenged by these principles. Even this very moment, my heart is torn about some things. I can't help but acknowledge that it is by removing all earthly dependence that we can truly learn to trust and depend on God. That is what is so glorious about the trials in life!

I must share the recent joys of my week. Yesterday, after a full day at school getting some essentials taken care of, we journeyed over to a restaurant called Texadelphia. The place was packed out with DTS students and staff. The owner is a graduate of DTS and hosted a welcome dinner for all the new students. The best part for me was towards the end when I finally worked up the courage to walk over to a booth where a Chinese couple sat with their young daughter and another Chinese gal. I introduced myself and shared a little bit about my past experiences and interest in China. They seemed really excited to talk to me. He even thanked me for my service there. I told them that I really love China and would love to be their friend. They have only been in the US for 3 weeks waiting for classes to start. He will be studying full time so I imagine his wife will need some companionship! I'm sure they've experienced quite a bit of culture shock to say the least. The little girl doesn't speak any English, however the wife does. I am very excited to see how the Lord might use me in this family's life this year.

I'm planning to attend a Chinese church tomorrow too as I'm really praying about how God might use me and teach me in the Chinese arena! I really want to establish some deep friendships with Chinese people here.

Also, my roommate and I are having dinner with old city teammates from China that we met coincidentally at orientation on Thursday! They invited us for Chinese dumplings...how appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment